888 E Walnut St, 2nd Floor Pasadena, CA 91101
Pasadena, California, United States
View All jobs
Nobody understands the open web better than OpenX. As the world’s leading independent advertising exchange, OpenX makes the efficient people-based marketing experience of the walled gardens available to all marketers and publishers across the open web. OpenX works with more than 34,000 advertisers and thousands of the most popular websites and mobile apps across every screen and device globally, reaching every digitally addressable adult in the US.
The Director, Public Policy should be able to identify areas of focus, be a leading participant where possible and advise the Company, in particular its product and engineering teams, as to laws and policies impacting the Company’s business.
This is a full-time position and can be located at our headquarters in Pasadena or in our San Francisco or New York office.
When you join our Company, you will be immediately tasked with being the Company’s point person on ad tech policy and processes. Responsibilities include:
- Working closely with different business units as new products are developed and current product features are enhanced to understand the business needs. As a key member of these teams, you will provide the insights and latests news from industry group and legislative initiatives that impact the product and work closely with the team to address any regulatory requirements;
- Find an industry acronym and chances are we belong. IAB, DAA and others. In this role you will be the point person to interact on different committees and events within these organizations. You will play a key role in publicly expressing the Company’s point of view and helping to influence policy.
- At the federal and state level, privacy and ad tech have become an area of interest for legislatures. You will need to be our eyes and ears on the ground, understanding the political landscape and interacting with different groups to inform the conversation.
- GDPR is another acronym on the international level that impacts ad tech. You will work alongside the Legal team in staying on top of the latest pronouncements and actions coming from the EU.
- Articulate policy, industry changes and initiatives to relevant parties including management, operations, and other internal and external stakeholders
- Act as an escalation point of contact and manage internal communications for policy issues
- Build coalitions with other organizations to advance OpenX’s goals
- Ability to dive deep into all products and assess/audit company practices.
- 3+ years of Public Policy experience either in the private sector or in the public sector.
- Solid organizational skills.
- Confident public speaker
- Ability to communicate processes and policies in a clear and concise manner and translate those processes and policies into products and action items.
- Analytical, creative problem solver motivated by company and client success.
- Strong knowledge of internet and adtech policy issues, including privacy, security and transparency.
- Looking for a legal plus opportunity: Strong desire to apply legal acumen to product and engineering vision.
- Prior background in adtech or social media
- Experience with a legislative body, executive branch/agency, trade group or self-regulatory organization a plus
- Law Degree from top-tier law school preferred but not required.
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels within partner’s businesses as well as within OpenX.
- Willingness to get up from your desk and have a conversation and engage others in different ways to solve a problem.
- Prior in-house experience preferred but not required.
Company at a Glance
OpenX is focused on unleashing the full economic potential of digital media companies. We do this by making digital advertising markets and technologies that are designed to deliver optimal value to publishers and advertisers on every ad served across all screens.
At OpenX, we have built a team that is uniquely experienced in designing and operating high-scale ad marketplaces, and we are constantly on the lookout for thoughtful, creative executors who are as fascinated as we are about finding new ways to apply a blend of market design, technical innovation, operational excellence, and empathetic partner service to the frontiers of digital advertising.
Our five company values form a solid bedrock serving to define us as a group and guide the company. Our values remind us that how we do things often matters as much as what we do.
We are one
One team. No exceptions. We are a group of strong and diverse individuals unified by a clear common purpose.
Our customers define us
We know our business flourishes or dies because of our customers.
OpenX is mine
We are all owners of OpenX. We stake our personal and professional reputations on the excellence of our work.
We are an open book
We are eager to teach and share what we know with others.
We evolve fast
We take risks and confront failure openly. We recognize and repeat success aggressively. We actively seek out and provide constructive criticism. Defensiveness is for weaklings!