- We operate one of the world’s largest independent advertising exchanges, enabling websites, apps and advertisers to market, sell and buy digital and mobile ad space.
- If you visit one of the websites or apps that we work with, we may collect, process and share data about you or your device with advertisers so they can determine whether to show you an ad. The data collected and shared about you allows our advertising partners to show you ads they believe will be relevant to you.
- This information is limited to device identifiers and other identifiers consisting of a random series of letters and numbers. We don’t have your name, contact information or any other information that directly identifies you as an individual.
- Please read this entire policy for further detail.
What This Policy Covers
- visit a website or app that uses the OpenX services (“Services”)
- visit our corporate website (www.openx.com);
- provide OpenX with your information to register for the Services; or
- otherwise interact with the Services.
Data Practices for the Services
Background Regarding the Services
Our Services help Publishers make money through advertising, and Demand Partners reach the consumers they’re interested in targeting. The Services include our Ad Exchange, a web-based marketplace that enables Publishers and Demand Partners to efficiently market, buy and sell digital and mobile advertising inventory (the “Ad Exchange”).
Information We Collect through the Services
We collect information through Publishers that use our Services. For example, when you visit a website or app and the Publisher sends us a request to show you an ad, we collect certain information about the ad space, you and your device to help inform a Demand Partner’s decision to serve the ad. We also collect information through Demand Partners that use our Services, as well as from other third-party partners. This information we collect can identify your device over time. We do not know your name or contact information, or any other information that would directly identify you as an individual. However, this information may still be considered “personal data” or “personal information” under applicable data privacy or data protection laws.
In particular, we may collect the following categories of information:
- Unique online identifiers (e.g. IP address, cookies, mobile advertising identifiers such as Apple IDFA and Android Advertising ID)
- Information about your browsing behavior on a Publisher’s website or app (e.g. domain or app store URL or bundle ID, category code associated with website or app, referring website address, date/time of visit, ‘click through’ data)
- Browser information (e.g. browser type, version, language,)
- Device information (e.g. screen dimensions, device brand and model)
- Internet service information (e.g. Internet Service Provider used by you)
- Derived location data (as derived from IP address or GPS (for mobile))
- Precise location data (if you have enabled location services on your device and a Publisher passes that data to us)
- Ad reporting or delivery data (e.g. size/type of ad, ad impressions, location/format of ad, data about interactions with the ad)
- Interest segments (i.e. inferred information on the behavior or likely interests associated with you)
- Retargeting data (i.e. data indicating previous interest in a product or website)
- Other data that can be passed in the request to the Demand Partner to inform their decision (a non-exhaustive list of fields can be found at https://docs.openx.com/Content/publishers/s2s-openrtb-bidrequests.html).
We primarily recognize your devices through the following identifiers:
- Mobile Advertising IDs – We and our partners use standard mobile advertising identifiers, for example the “IDFA” advertising identifier used on Apple’s iOS devices and the “Google Advertising ID” advertising identifier used on Android devices, to track your use of mobile apps on your device(s).
Publishers, Demand Partners, and third party data partners may also utilize cookies or similar technologies. The collection of information through cookies or similar technologies by such third parties will be governed by their own privacy policies and principles, which OpenX does not control.
How We Use the Information We Collect through the Services
We pass data we collect from ad requests Publishers send to the Ad Exchange to Demand Partners so that they can decide whether to show you an ad and send you more relevant ads. From certain ad request data received from Publishers, we derive additional information that we include in the request sent to Demand Partners. For example, from an IP address, we can derive certain general location information you like city and state. We may also add additional data we have collected from other sources to inform the Demand Partner’s bid and improve the relevance of the advertising.
We also use the information we collect to host, operate, maintain, secure, and further develop and improve our Services, such as to keep track of advertising delivery, to measure the effectiveness of advertising delivered through our Services, and to investigate compliance with OpenX’s policies and terms and conditions.
How We Share Data Collected by the Services
We may disclose the information that our Services collect about you in the following ways:
- Ad Transactions – We pass data to Demand Partners so that they can combine this information with other information they have independently collected to determine whether to show you an ad.
- Business Transfers – we may share the data we collect in connection with an actual or proposed sale or transfer of all or a part of our business or assets, corporate merger, consolidation, or bankruptcy.
- Compliance with Regulatory Authorities and Laws – we may share the data we collect with law enforcement, regulatory authorities, courts with competent jurisdictions, emergency services or other necessary third parties for legal, protection, security and safety purposes, including:
- To comply with laws or regulatory requirements, including to meet national security requirements, and to respond to lawful requests and legal process;
- To protect the safety of our employees and agents, or partners, or any person.
- Service Providers – We share the relevant data we collect with our partners who perform functions on our or our clients’ behalf. Examples include: analyzing data; cross-device linking; fraud prevention; and hosting data.
Data Practices for OpenX Website and Customer-Provided Information
Information the OpenX Website Collects
OpenX collects contact information through our website when you choose to provide it, such as your name, username, or email address. For example, you may be asked to provide us with contact information when you register with the OpenX website and when you use the Services. The decision to provide this information is optional; however, if you elect not to register or provide such information, you may not be able to access certain content, features, or services available on or through the OpenX website. In order to make payments owed to Publishers or collect payments from Demand Partners, OpenX may also request additional information from Publishers and Demand Partners such as other contact information and billing account information.
OpenX uses this contact and billing information to operate and improve our website and Services, such as to provide notices about your Service, to fulfill your service requests, or to request your feedback or conduct research. OpenX also uses contact information to send you information about new products or Services; where OpenX needs your permission to do this, we only send such information in accordance with any permissions granted.
We may also collect additional information about your activities on our website as described below.
Cookies and Other Similar Technologies.
We use the following categories of cookies for our website:
- Strictly Necessary Cookies
These cookies are essential in order to enable you to navigate our website and use its features. Without these cookies, services you have asked for such as remembering your login details cannot be provided.
- Performance Cookies
These cookies collect anonymous information on how people use our website. For example, we use these cookies to help us understand how customers arrive at our site, browse or use our site and highlight areas where we can improve, such as navigation and marketing campaigns. These cookies do not store personal details that identify you as an individual.
- Functionality Cookies
These cookies remember choices you make such as the country from which you visit our website, language, and search parameters such as size, color or product line. These cookies can then be used to provide you with an experience more appropriate to your selections and to make the visits more tailored and relevant. The information these cookies collect may be anonymized and they cannot track your browsing activity on other websites.
Your browser may offer tools to enable or disable cookies by modifying the settings in your browser. However, please note that certain features of the OpenX website may not work if you delete or disable cookies.
- with your express permission;
- with our affiliates, which include entities controlling, controlled by, or under common control with OpenX;
- in the event that OpenX is merged, sold, or in the event of a transfer of some or all of our assets (including in bankruptcy), or in the event of another corporate change, we may disclose or transfer information in connection with such transaction;
- where we believe it is necessary to protect OpenX or our users; to enforce our terms or the legal rights of OpenX or others; or to comply with a request from governmental authorities, legal process, or other legal obligations; orwhere we contract with third parties to provide certain services, such as advertising, analytics, data management services, web hosting, and web development (“Vendors”). We ask Vendors to confirm that their privacy and security practices are consistent with ours, we provide our Vendors with only the information necessary for them to perform the services we request, and Vendors are prohibited from using such information for purposes other than as specified by OpenX. The following Vendors are considered processors for the OpenX website: