888 E Walnut St, 2nd Floor Pasadena, CA 91101
Pasadena, California, United States
View All jobs
Product Taxonomists are responsible for creating the thesauri and data structures that drive the categorization of content, consumer brands, and other players in the programmatic advertising ecosystem. They are also responsible for the documentation that allows OpenX’s partners categorize their websites, identify the end brands buying advertising, or the buying intermediaries (agencies), as well as keeping these definitions in sync for our partners, and the industry in general.
They perform data mining of OpenX’s catalogues to identify the best ways to gather and categorize publisher inventory. They create and maintain complex Boolean queries to classify items. They must be able to troubleshoot website categorization issues, tool and system issues. They must also be familiar with many types of metadata issues across OpenX’s different systems. They advocate for both data quality standards in OpenX as well as working with the industry standards agencies (iab).
We’re seeking Taxonomist as part of the OpenX product team in Pasadena CA, San Francisco, CA or New York City.
- Develop browse structures to organize our content category, brands, and buyer taxonomies for our global advertising footprint.
- Coordinate cross-functional projects with a broad range of business and technical stakeholders.
- Analyze exchange metrics and buyer behavior data to make intelligent decisions on optimizing our taxonomies
- Help develop tools and update versioned taxonomies
- Work with external partners to make sure that these taxonomies are in sync
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Sciences, Knowledge Management, Information Management, or equivalent professional experience.
- Proven skills in data retrieval techniques.
- Experience working with catalog and classification systems and creation of thesauri.
- Excellent English language skills as well as proficiency in one or more languages (e.g. German, French, Japanese)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Detail-oriented, decisive, self-motivated and calm under pressure
- Ability to quickly understand complex processes and communicate them in simple language
- Basic experience working with Linux, Perl and/or Python, regular expressions, SQL
Company at a Glance
OpenX is focused on unleashing the full economic potential of digital media companies. We do this by making digital advertising markets and technologies that are designed to deliver optimal value to publishers and advertisers on every ad served across all screens.
At OpenX, we have built a team that is uniquely experienced in designing and operating high-scale ad marketplaces, and we are constantly on the lookout for thoughtful, creative executors who are as fascinated as we are about finding new ways to apply a blend of market design, technical innovation, operational excellence, and empathetic partner service to the frontiers of digital advertising.
Our five company values form a solid bedrock serving to define us as a group and guide the company. Our values remind us that how we do things often matters as much as what we do.
We are one
One team. No exceptions. We are a group of strong and diverse individuals unified by a clear common purpose.
Our customers define us
We know our business flourishes or dies because of our customers.
OpenX is mine
We are all owners of OpenX. We stake our personal and professional reputations on the excellence of our work.
We are an open book
We are eager to teach and share what we know with others.
We evolve fast
We take risks and confront failure openly. We recognize and repeat success aggressively. We actively seek out and provide constructive criticism. Defensiveness is for weaklings!