OpenX is a global leader in digital advertising technology. OpenX’s mission is to maximize advertising revenue for digital media companies on any connected screen. The company’s products include an ad server, a real-time bidding exchange and a supply-side platform.
OpenX currently serves more than 800 publishers worldwide, including 65% of the comScore 100, with 200 million unique visitors and 100 billion ads auctioned per month through its exchange.
OpenX has employees with offices in Los Angeles, Silicon Valley, New York, London, Kraków and Tokyo, and is backed by leading investors including Accel Partners, Index Ventures, Samsung Ventures and SAP Ventures.
OpenX is ranked #7 on Forbes Top 100 America’s Most Promising Companies, #5 on Deloitte Technology Fast 500.
The Scrum Master works with 2 to 3 teams at a time to deliver business value that helps meet OpenX’s corporate goals. The Scrum Master role is embedded in the teams but also acts as an extension of OpenX’s PMO team. This position is based at our Krakow office.
As the Scrum Master you are the process enabler. You are not afraid of raising issues and driving change to remove impediments and obstacles from your team. You support the Product Owner, and facilitate creativity. You participate in improving the team’s engineering practices and tools as needed. The qualified candidate utilizes strong leadership, has the ability to follow the leadership of others, practice effective communication, be adaptable to change, and has the capability to collaborate and share information with all levels of the team.
You will be responsible for coaching and mentoring Scrum and/or Kanban methodologies of various team members to ensure effective application of the iterative principles and applicable standards in alignment with agile principles. You will also be responsible for participating and/or helping provide relevant updates of product deliverables to OpenX's Scrum of Scrums and dashboards.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Organize and facilitate Scrum ceremonies including:
- Daily Scrum
- Sprint Planning
- Sprint Review
- Sprint Retrospective
- Support and educate the Product Owner, especially with respect to refinement and maintaining the product backlog.
- Support and educate the Team and Product Owner on effective user stories, and relative estimation.
- Participate and provide relevant updates of product deliverables to the Scrum of Scrums.
- Build a trusting and safe environment where problems can be raised without fear of blame, retribution, or being judged, with an emphasis on healing and problem solving.
- Act as an extension of the organization’s PMO team.
- Coach the team on how to use Scrum and Kanban practices and values.
- Coach the team on how to get the most out of self-organization.
- Coach the team on self-organizing to fill in the intentional gaps left in the Agile/Scrum frameworks.
- Facilitate getting the work done without coercion, assigning, or dictating the work.
- Facilitate discussion, decision-making, and conflict resolution.
- Remove impediments or guiding the team to remove impediments by finding the right personnel to remove the impediment.
- Provide support to the team using a servant leadership style whenever possible, but leading by example if required (get your hands dirty to get the job done).
- Assess the Scrum Maturity of the team and organization and coach the team to higher levels of maturity, at a pace that is sustainable and comfortable for the team and organization.
- Assist with internal and external communication, improving transparency, and radiating information.
- Work with stakeholders to ensure that any new developments in Agile are analyzed/implemented into the team and organization as required.
- Support the team with tool usage including setup, management, and governance (Atlassian Tools) so that the teams support the OpenX's SDLC.
Education, Experience and Technical skills
- University degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Management Information Systems or equivalent program/experience.
- Four to five years of actual work experience performing at least one of these roles (engineer, QA, technical project manager) in a software development organization.
- Your work experience includes two years working as a Scrum Master for a software development team that was diligently applying Scrum principles, practices, and theory.
- First level Scrum Master certification (CSM, PMI-ACP, PSM I).
- Understand incremental delivery and the value of metrics.
- Good skills and knowledge of servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency.
- Knowledge of numerous well-documented patterns and techniques for filling in the intentional gaps left in the Scrum approach (example: numerous Burndown techniques, numerous Retrospective formats, handling bugs, etc.).
- Working knowledge of backlog tracking, burndown metrics, velocity, and task definition.
- Working knowledge of the various Software Development Life Cycle methodologies (Agile, Incremental and Iterative, Scrum-ban, Lean, Waterfall).
Competencies that are considered assets
- Certification (CSP, PSM II)
- Applicable knowledge of the technologies used by the team
- Familiar with Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)
- Knowledge of other Agile approaches: XP, Kanban, Crystal, FDD, etc.
- Knowledge and/or experience with widely successful Agile techniques: User Stories, ATDD, TDD, Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing, Agile Games.
Soft Skills and Competencies
- Servant leader – you have a genuine passion for helping teams and individuals grow
- You have the ability to work with high-performing teams and challenge them to improve even further
- Demonstrated ability to work consultatively and influence change.
- Clear verbal and written communication skills (concise, clear and complete).
- Excellent coaching and mentoring skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Strong leadership skills; ability to cope with pressure
- Good Project Management skills
- Strong interpersonal, facilitation and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability of working fast in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to plan and prioritize multiple tasks and adapt to changing priorities
- Excellent writing skills and ability to describe clearly complex processes and tasks
- Team player who is detail oriented and has superb organizational skills
- Desire to provide transparency to the business about the deliverables and grow business trust
- We are one
- Our customers define us
- OpenX is mine
- We are an open book
- We evolve fast